Smokey Joe's Cafe
Musical Revue in 2 Acts.
Music - Jerry Leiber &
Lyrics - Jerry Leiber &
Smokey Joe's Café is a musical theatrical revue showcasing 39 pop standards, including rock and roll, rhythm and blues songs written by songwriters Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. This musical was nominated for seven Tony Awards. The Original Broadway cast soundtrack, Smokey Joe's Cafe: The Songs Of Leiber And Stoller won a Grammy award in 1995.
Smokey Joe's Cafe made its theatrical debut in 1994 in Los Angeles and opened on Broadway on 2 March, 1995 at the Virginia Theatre. The first London production was in 1996 at the Prince of Wales Theatre.
The New York production closed on January 16, 2000 after 2,036 performances, making Smokey Joe's Café the longest running musical revue in Broadway history. The final performance was filmed, and released on DVD in 2001
Throughout its run, the cast included special appearances by a variety of popular recording artists, including Gladys Knight, Gloria Gaynor and Rick Springfield.
As of March 2008, this musical is still being produced by professional and amateur theatrical companies around the world.
Awards and nominations
- 1995 Tony Award nominations
- Tony Award for Best Musical
- Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical - Victor Trent Cook
- Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical - Brenda Braxton, B.J. Crosby, DeLee Lively
- Tony Award for Best Choreography - Joey McKneely
- Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical - Jerry Zaks