CASTLES IN THE AIR
A Musical Comedy in 3 Acts. Book and lyrics by Raymond W. Peck. Music by Percy Wenrich. Book staged by Frank S. Merlin. Ensembles by Julian Mitchell. Dances by John Boyle. Scenery designed by Hugh Willoughby, P. Dodd Ackerman. Costumes by Hugh Willoughby, John N. Booth, Jr. and Francis & Co. Music under the direction of Max Bendix. Orchestrations by Frank Barry. Entire production under the personal supervision of James W. Elliott. Produced by James W. Elliott.
Book and lyrics by Raymond W. Peck
Music by Percy Wenrich
Selwyn Theatre, Broadway - 6 September, 1926. Transferred to the Century
Theatre 6th December, 1926 (162 perfs)
Shaftesbury Theatre, London 29 June, 1927 (28 perfs)
Two college graduates, Monty Blair and John Brown arrive at Evelyn's 21 Club, an exclusive Westchester resort they have mistaken for an inn. They quickly weigh up the situation and Monty introduces John as a Latvian Prince. Evelyn is something of a social climber, so her uncle Philip decides to teach her a lesson by taking her and her friends to Latvia, intending to expose John for the impostor he is. The plan backfires, however, John really is a prince!
Cast: (in order of appearance):
- Annie Moore
- George Sedgewick
- Philip Rodman
- Mme. Joujou Durant
- Evelyn Devine
- Count Draga
- Monty Blair
- John Brown
- General Slodak
- The Chancellor
- The Queen Regent
- Ballet Dancer
Chorus of Dancers and Singers
- Opening - Ensemble
- I Don't Blame 'Em - Annie Moore, Boys
- Love's Refrain - Mme Joujou Durant, Ensemble
- Lantern of Love (Lanterns of Love) (Lyrics by R. Locke and Raymond W. Peck) - Evelyn Devine, Ensemble
- The Singer's Career, Ha! Ha! - Mme Joujou Durant, Philip Rodman
- Queen of Queens - Monty Blair, Dancers
- The Other Fellow's Girl - Monty Blair, Sextette, Ensemble
- If You Are in Love with a Girl - John Brown, Ensemble
- The Sweetheart of Your Dream - Evelyn Devine
Replaced by: (The) First Kiss of Love - Evelyn Devine
- I Would Like to Fondle You - Annie Moore, Monty Blair, Sextette, Ensemble
- The Rainbow of Your Smile - John Brown *
- Finale Act 1 - Ensemble
- Latavian Folk Dance - Ensemble
- Baby (Fox Trot Lullaby) - Monty Blair, Ensemble
- Latavia - John Brown, Ensemble
- Land of Romance - Evelyn Devine
- My Lips, My Love, My Soul! - John Brown, Evelyn Devine
- The Latavian Chant - Annie Moore, Ensemble
- Finale Act 2 - Entire Company
- The Ballet Dancer - Ballet Dancer ±
Girls and the Gimmies - Monty Blair, Sextette, Ensemble
- Love Rules the World - Mme Joujou Durant, John Brown
- Finale Act 3 -
* Dropped for tour.
± Dropped during the run.
Scenes and Settings
- Act 1: Evelyn's 21 Club, Westchester. June.
- Act 2: The Castle. July.
- Act 3: The Rodman Garden, Westchester. August.